Episode 7 – Brett Harrison
In this episode of the Wake Up Colorado Podcast, our guest is Brett Harrison. She is a PR and Marketing Director for the Salvation Army in Colorado Springs. Sixteen years in the restaurant industry pushed her towards achieving her degree in marketing. After managing events and implementing community-based marketing in a variety of restaurants, she finally landed on her dream job which is Marketing and Public Relations for a non-profit organization.
- “God has a different plan for us that we don’t.” [Brett]
- “We want to provide as many services as possible for people to help themselves instead of doing things for them.” [Brett]
- ” There’s that fine line between enabling and helping.” [Brett]
- “Feels like a dream, my life and travel and, you know, watch people blossom and grow and change and provide people with services.” [Brett]
- ” isolation is the worst thing for someone in any sort of recovery.” [Brett]
- ” loving people until they can love themselves.” [Brett]
- ” We do it for God, not for that notoriety.” [Brett]
- Brett went for detox and found the Salvation Army adult rehabilitation program.
- A lot of people don’t realize that Salvation Army is actually a church.
- They are responsible for their own finances, fundraising, meaning that every single penny of every dollar that’s donated stays right in their community.
- The funding from the thrift stores help fund the adult rehab programs which saved Brett’s life.
- VA transitional housing was built to set people up for success so they can transition.
- Salvation Army built exactly like the military and even to the uniforms and the titles and everything.
- Anger is one of the worst things to do. Because that pushes people farther into guilt and shame.
- Salvation Army is in all-natural disasters and tragedies, anything, they are the first to arrive and the last to leave.
[0:52] Meet today’s guest “Brett Harrison,” marketing director at the Salvation Army.
[1:05] Brett’s background and journey and joining the Salvation Army.
[4:03] What people may not know about the Salvation Army?
[5:43] Community services that the Salvation Army facilitate
[8:12] What is grassroots services.
[10:48] Determine people in need.
[12:44] What can the average person do?
[14:23] Salvation Army similar to the military.
[21:32] Brett’s recovery story.
[25:18] What advice would you offer someone who knows that they need help?
[27:33] How can they truly support another person?
[29:16] How has COVID impacted your organization?
[36:34] How did the Boulder mass shooting impact your organization?
[39:53] What is the kind of expected response?
[41:57] Different ways the community can help support and volunteer with the Salvation Army?
[45:14] Favorite hidden gem in Colorado
[48:58] What advice would you give to someone moving to Colorado?
[51:08] How to connect with Salvation Army
Learn more about Brett Harrison and the Salvation Army at:
Address: 908 Yuma St, Colorado Springs, CO 80909
Phone: (720) 417-3756