Episode 13 – Dot Lischick
In this episode of the Wake Up Colorado Podcast, our guest is Dot Lischick, General Manager for the Broadmoor World Arena, Ice Hall and Pikes Peak Center. Since the inception of the arena, Dot witnessed and spearheaded its humble beginnings until it rose to what it is today. The arena hosts different events and is deeply involved with its community.
- “Technology changes all the time. It’s how you connect with people and letting them know what’s going on – mouth, mail, print, or postcards – still works today. It’s finding the method that reaches the person.” – Dot
- “Seeing the happy faces when people leave, making memories, and enjoying what we have done for them is memorable for me.” – Dot
- “The most rewarding and greatest thing we could do for Colorado Springs is teaming up with the emergency management and serving as a community vaccine site.” – Dot
- Entrepreneurship spirit is the beginning of everything.
- Entrepreneurs are risk-takers and visionaries.
- Staying on top, being two steps ahead of everyone else, and being consistent with what you are doing are the challenges a manager has to face.
- Doing what it takes to make things happen when you care about the people and wanting them to have a good time.
- Teamwork and communication are crucial to pivot during a crisis like Covid.
- Being involved in your community and giving back are essential to staying relevant.
[02:03] How Dot started in facilities and event management
[04:30] How technology changed the space
[05:04] The history of The Broadmoor World Arena and who is Spencer Penrose
[08:26] How Dot applies sociology and counseling to her work
[11:00] The challenges of managing
[13:14] Memorable events and artists Dot met
[16:20] How the COVID19-Pandemic affected the arena and their conservation practices
[23:09] The arena’s involvement in the local community
[26:51] Who is the Street Team?
[31:19] Dot’s vision for The Broadmoor World Arena and Pikes Peak Center
[33:25] Dot’s favorite hidden gem in Colorado
[35:13] Dot’s piece of advice if you want to move to Colorado
Book your events or see which artists will perform by heading to:
Pikes Peak Center: http://www.pikespeakcenter.com/
The Broadmoor World Arena: http://www.broadmoorworldarena.com/